All terms of the thesis defense are described on the web pages of the Collège des écoles doctorales (CED). You will also find more information in the french version of this page.
The defense procedure has changed for the year 2021-2022. Please contact the doctoral school to find out the details.
Concerning the constitution of the committee, the rules are as follows:
- it must comprise at least four and at most eight members (appart from invited members);
- it must comprise at least one woman;
- the French reporters must hold an HDR;
- the two reporters should be external to Sorbonne Paris Cité and to the ED (that is to say, not on the list of supervisors), and must not have published with the student or with his thesis advisor(s) for the last five years;
- at least half the members (appart from invited members) must be external to Sorbonne Paris Cité, to the ED (that is to say, not on the list of supervisors), and to the laboratory where the thesis was conducted; are also considered as internal the collaborators of the PhD advisor(s), i.e. those having co-published with them for the last five years;
- when there are two PhD co-advisors, one of the advisors shall be an invited member of the jury;
- at least half of the committee members must be of rank A (full professor or equivalent);
- the presence on the committee of someone representing UPD (a professor or associate professor in UPD or a scientist from a laboratory of UPD, holding his "habilitation à diriger des recherches") is mandatory;
- anyone who has published with the student, appart from his advisors, cannot be a member of the jury, but he can be invited.