Downloadable certificates of training
Doctoral training includes the following aspects:
- training through research, laboratory, seminars, conferences, etc.
- scientific training through courses, summer schools, etc.
- training in other topics related to teaching , languages, professional integration, etc.
The last two points are the additional doctoral training. This is a very important aspect of your thesis, allowing you to acquire new skills to pursue your career, whether inside or outside the academic world.
We distinguish three types of additional training :
- scientific training that is foundational (M2 courses, introduction to software or an experimental technique, etc.) or in-depth (courses organized by the ED, summer schools, courses at Collège de France, etc.).
- openness training ,that leads to discovery of other areas of physics and other sciences or stirs interest in the history of science, the relationship of science to society, scientific media, etc.
- methodological training, or professional methods,, which helps strengthen new or acquired skills and provides the keys to professional development.
Everyone must undertake a minimum of 90 hours of training throughout the thesis. To ensure diversity in the courses taken, a student must not receive more than 40 hours in one of three types of training
Lists proposed in the various types of further education courses can be found here:
The training program a student follows, which is regularly updated, must result from a process of self-assessment. This is an opportunity for self-examination as well as observation by the thesis advisor(s) and ED on the student’s professional goals and the knowledge and skills needed to achieve these goals.
The career plan should not be reduced to "be a post-doc," because that activity, though a next step, is temporary. Moreover, undertaking a post-doc is necessary to get a job in higher education and research, and therefore relates to no more than 50% of PhDs of a given age group.
The information on training (methods, helpful links, ...) are listed on the website of the ED. You are required to register the training courses followed on your EDPIF form, not forgetting to upload a certificate. These training courses will be validated as they go by the executive board of the ED. The balance is assessed annually during the monitoring steps.