Doctoral missions are complementary activities that strengthen professional experience of the PhD students, while providing an additional pay (see decree on remuneration).
Sorts of missions
In accordance with the status of the “contrat doctoral”, there are four kinds of doctoral missions :
- Education mission: These missions (new form of former "monitnrat") can take place in a specific department of a faculty, they may be related to scientific information (in libraries for example), or they may be related to foreign languages in the corresponding departments,…
In all cases, they represent a service of not more than 64 hours per year in classes equivalent to tutorials, only for bachelor students.
- Scientific dissemination or mediation mission : They consist in developing an action or an event, part of a cultural program, towards a non-specialist audience, for example in associations (like Paris-Montagne), in Labex (for example First-TF), or Universcience. They represent no more than 32 days per year, including training.
- Valorization mission: These doctoral missions concern intellectual property, technology transfer or European cooperation. They are proposed and organized by the competent authorities of universities, schools,… They represent no more than 32 days per year, including training.
- Consulting mission: These missions in companies take many different forms depending on the needs of the company : technical, scientific or organizational advising, bibliographic study, feasibility study, training,… They represent no more than 32 days per year in the company.
Dates and application process in 2023:
- Mission ENS/PSL: Send before July 2nd 2023 a single PDF file containing the CV (resume), a summary of the thesis subject, the name of the thesis supervisor, the host laboratory, the thesis registration institution, the organization that funds the thesis to and a copy to Stephan Fauve.
Send before July 1st 2023 a single PDF file containing the CV (resume), a brief summary of the thesis subject,
the name of the thesis director and the host laboratory to
The proposals are also available on ADUM or Collège doctoral web site et or following this link.
Online application on the Missions website, by August 26th 2023 for the teaching missions.
Verification of eligibility conditions is available on this page.
PhD students who already started a traching mission do not have to re-register.
- UPCité: (Deadline June, 24th, 2023)
Online application, via the page campagne d'attribution des missions d'enseignement d'Université de Paris-Cité.
The list of doctoral missions open to Université Paris-Saclay and the online aplication are available on ADUM.
For teaching assignments in the Physics Department, the deadline is July 10, 2023 00:01 a.m.
Please refer to the UPSaclay’s mission information page.
Some useful information
- You can get a doctoral mission only if you have a doctoral contract. Since 2021, the "contrats doctoraux de droit privé" have been included in the system, enabling CIFRE doctoral students and employees of the CEA (or other EPIC) to be eligible, if their employment contract has opted for this legal form. Funding granted by the ANR, Idex, Labex, the IdF region, the European Union or various foundations almost always gives rise to a "contrat doctoral de droit public" with an EPSCP (university, grande école, etc.) or EPST (CNRS, INSERM, etc.) and are therefore eligible.
- On the contrary, you cannot benefit from a doctoral mission if you are funded by a foreign grantor scholarshipp, or a conventional fixed-term contrac (CDD).
- The allocations of the missions do not depend on the doctoral school, but they depend on services like UFR, libraries, companies,... So you have to apply at your university. However, the opinion of the doctoral school can be asked for the selection, so it is strongly advised to inform us.
- The doctoral contract is generally signed only for research. When you have a doctoral mission, a special part of the contract mentions which time is dedicated to the doctoral mission.
- These missions can be realized in institutions other than the one who employs you. In this case, a convention between the two institutions will be established.
- Generally, the institutions give priority to the PhD students that they employ, and refistered with them, compared to external applications.