Due to the current health crisis the university has set up a dematerialized defense procedure; you will find on this page all the necessary information as well as some modification points below, in red.
The defense procedure is handled in parallel by:
- the ED for the scientific aspects,
- the PhD Office, named “BAD” for «Bureau d’Accueil des Doctorant» for administrative matters.
We strongly recommend that you follow the procedure described on this page.
The main steps are the following (the number of days for a typical retro-planning are given in brackets):
- Writing the thesis (D-150±50 )
- Request for authorization, approval of the committee by the ED (D-70)
- Sending the thesis to referees (“rapporteurs”)(D-50), return of the reports to the ED expected three weeks before the D-day.
- Submission to the BAD of the defense folder and authorization for defense (D-21)
Note : In this page, the “director of the ED” means the Deputy-Director in charge of monitoring SU students.
1 - Writing the thesis
The dissertation is required legally to be written in French (Education Code), except in cases of international joint supervision if the agreement specifies another language. The director of the ED may grant, upon a duly reasoned request, a waiver for writing in English (CS 4 March 2013). This waiver is automatically accorded to non-French native speakers.
On the technical side, the use of LaTeX is strongly recommended, because of its ease in separating content and form, and dealing with many cross-references, figures, and, especially, equations. A LaTeX thesis template is proposed with specific packages aiming to make easier several tasks (including the front and back covers consistent with imposed standards) especially in view of the electronic submission of the thesis. To be download here.
In this case, assuming that you already know the language, it is In this case, it is recommended to attend the workshop “Electronic thesis in LaTeX”
proposed by the EDPIF, twice a year, as part of training of doctoral college.
If you prefer to use a WYSIWIG word processor (*-office), you will benefit from using the style sheets proposedd on the university website (first button, entitled “Le manuscrit”).
2 - Request for authorization and committee proposal
It is important to anticipate the formation of the committee and especially the choice of referees, on the one hand to be sure that they will be accepted by the ED , and also to retain a defense date sufficiently well in advance
The choice of committee members, including reporters, must comply with many rules to ensure, in the interests of the doctoral student, a maximum of impartiality and objectivity in the evaluation of the thesis:
- national rules defined by the Arrêté of 25 mai 2016
- local rules adopted by Sorbonne Université,
- specific rules defined by the ED.
These rules are summarized in this document.
The procedure is as follows:
- First establish, with your thesis advisor, a proposal of reporters and committee members.
- Enter the composition of the proposed committee in your ED personal page. Provide also the provisional defense date, title and a short abstract of your PhD work and update information about your “Publications” and additionnal PhD training (“Formation”).
- Once these fields filled out, click on the button "Soumettre" to submit the proposal to the director of the ED. Both you and your advisor will receive an email as acknowledgment of receipt.
- If necessary, after exchange with the ED's director, update the jury in accordance with the decision of the ED.
- After validation of the committee by the ED, you and your advisor will receive an email containing the DAPST for signature, to be returned to Maria Chamarro.
3 - Sending the thesis to the referees
- Whenever possible, send a PDF version and a printed and bound version, by including in cc the EDPIF SU.
- Whenever possible, also send them to other members of the committee.
- Do not send the accompanying document provided on the website of the univesity, as Nadine Yassine will, on behalf of the ED, send to them the instructions and agree with them on the return date of the reports (3-5 weeks later depending on the referees).
- In principle, the reports must be received by ED 3 weeks before the defense.
- As soon as the hour and location of defense are defined, enter them in your ED personal page (mandatory for defense authorization and committee convocation).
4 - Defense file
Before the defense, you must obligatorily send by email to Bureau d'Accueil Doctorants,
the "diffusion charter", the validation screenshot from the “FACILE” application, the “defended thesis” document and the
.txt file with the thesis subject.
In parallel, you must send your complete defense file (with the CD-ROM) by regular mail to the BAD.
- The defense procedure requires to provide the BAD with a packet 3 weeks before the defense..
To do so, you must first schedule an appointment with the BAD. (10th tab, entitled “Prise de rendez-vous”).
- You are not asked to provide a paper copy of the thesis, neither to the BD nor to the ED. This is replaced by the CD-Rom (see below) in the frame of the “thèse électronique” procedure.
- The provided PDF files must absolutely have successfully passed the validation check of the online application FACILE.
- The packet includes:
- The CD-ROM containing the several versions of the thesis and the metadata files, including both the source files (tex, doc, or odt) and the PDF (7 to 10 files or folders ou dossiers)
- The Documents (3 to 5 MS-Word files) to be filled out and printed.
- The detailed list of all these files, as well as the download links, can be found on the page
https://www.sorbonne-universite.fr/recherche-et-innovation/le-doctorat/demarches-administratives/soutenance, (4th tab, entitled “Dossier de soutenance”.