The defense procedure is handled in parallel by:
- the ED for the scientific aspects,
- the PhD Office (BAD; bureau d’accueil des doctorants) for administrative matters.
We strongly recommend that you follow the procedure described on this page.
The main steps are the following (the number of days for a typical retro-planning are given in brackets):
- Writing the thesis (D-150±50 )
- Request for authorization, approval of the committee by the ED (D-70)
- Sending the thesis to referees ("rapporteurs")(D-50). The reports must be send to ED at least 3 weeks before defense.
- Submission to the BAD of the defense folder and authorization for defense (D-21)
Note : In this page, the "director of the ED" means the Deputy-Director in charge of monitoring UPMC students.
1 - Writing the thesis
The dissertation is required legally to be written in French (Education Code), except in cases of international joint supervision if the agreement specifies another language. The director of the ED may grant, upon a duly reasoned request, a waiver for writing in English (CS 4 March 2013). This waiver is automatically accorded to non-French native speakers.
On the technical side, the use of LaTeX (and more specifically pdfLaTeX) is strongly recommended, because of its ease in separating content and form, and dealing with many cross-references, figures, and, especially, equations. A LaTeX thesis template is proposed with specific packages aiming to make easier several tasks (including the front and back covers consistent with imposed standards) especially in view of the electronic submission of the thesis. This template is available for download here.
If you prefer to use a WYSIWIG word processor (*-office), it will be best to use the style sheets proposed on the IFD website.
In any cases, it will be beneficial to read the slides about electronic thesis" offered by the library and the DFC
For the LaTeX case, to be supposed that you already know the language, it is recommanded to attend the A-Biblio4 workshop organized by EDPIF in the frame of the DFC, or at least read the corresponding slides and the more detailled handout.
2 - Request for authorization and committee proposal
It is important to anticipate the formation of the committee and especially the choice of reporters, on the one hand to be sure that they will be accepted by the ED , and also to retain a defense date sufficiently well in advance
The choice of committee members, including reporters, must comply with many rules to ensure, in the interests of the doctoral student, a maximum of impartiality and objectivity in the evaluation of the thesis:
- national rules defined by the Arrêté of 25 mai 2016
- local rules adopted by UPMC,
- specific rules defined by the ED.
These rules are summarized in this document.
The procedure is as follows:
- First establish, with your thesis advisor, a proposal of reporters and committee members.
- Enter the composition of the proposed committee in your ED personal page. Give also the provisional defense date, title and a short abstract of your PhD work and update information about your training and your publications during PhD period. Once these fields filled out, click on the button "Soumettre" to submit the proposal to the director oft he ED. Both you and your advisor will receive an email as acknowledgment of receipt.
- If necessary, after exchange with the ED's director, change information concerning your jury in accordance with the decision of the ED.
- After the principle approval for the committee by the ED, you will receive by e-mail the pre-filled DAPST . This document must be signed by you and your supervisor before send it by email to the Director of the ED .
3 - Sending the thesis to the referees
- Whenever possible, send a PDF version and a printed and bound version, by including in cc the director of the ED
- Whenever possible, also send the files to other members of the committee.
- Do not send the accompanying document provided on the website of the IFD: Nadine Yassine will send to them, on behalf of the ED, the instructions and agree with them on the return date of the reports (3-5 weeks later depending on the referees).
- In principle, the reports must be received by ED 3 weeks before the defense.
- As soon as the hour and location of defense are defined, enter them in your ED personal page (mandatory for defense authorization and committee convocation).
4 - Defense file
- The defense procedure requires to provide the BAD with a packet 3 weeks before the defense..
You are not asked to provide a paper copy of the thesis, neither to the BD nor to the ED. This is replaced by the CD-Rom (see below) in the frame of the “thèse électronique” procedure.
- The provided PDF files must absolutely have successfully passed the validation check of the online application FACILE.
- The packet includes some pre-filled MS-Word documents, some of which are printed and others must be sent by email:
Documents (3 to 5 files) List aytomatically imported from page dossier de soutenance on IFD website
- It also includes a CD-Rom on which must be included the source files (tex, doc, or odt) and the PDF of the thesis. If relevant you must include them for two versions called “archival version” and “release version”. The latter will be posted with the UPMC label on open archives including HAL , where items for which you do not have the copyright (and did not obtain the rights to use) must be removed. (see the web page of library).
CD-Rom (7 to 9 files or folders) List aytomatically imported from page dossier de soutenance on IFD website